Thursday, September 4, 2008

Making a Come Back: Corn


Here's a simple after school snack. And from what people are saying, get the yellow corn over white. Although corn started out white thousands of years ago, after a genetic mutation which turned the corn yellow, it also acquired a chemical called carotenoids. This chemical is now found to have high levels of vitamin A. (npr.org)

Your kids will be pleased that they can eat popcorn over carrots now to improve their sight!



It is simple:

Pop your popcorn. I prefer using the Whirley Popper because it is so easy to use. Once your stove top is hot, put oil and corn in and crank the handle. You really get perfect popcorn every time.

Then experiment with toppings. I like to shave parmesan cheese on the popcorn while it is hot. Fresh parmesan is salty and pungent enough to hold its own without adding much more.

And the great part, it takes 5 minutes to make. What is your favorite popcorn topping?

3 comments:

Ann said...

I've never tried parmesan! I will try it! That sounds terrific!

It is so interesting that you mention the yellow vs. white corn. Matt has been having such troubles with kidney stones and is now on a very different diet, and one thing he cannot have is white corn! It is high in oxalates, which in some people can lead to kidney stones.

I have been so busy and every day have wanted to call you. I hope I will get a chance tomorrow. I love you dearly. :)

Christine Mains said...

I've never tried parmesan, I will deffinitely try that next time. The kids love it when I pop pocorn.

Dana said...

Hi Nicole,
I love your blog and will come back and write down recipes for myself and Tim....and maybe grandchildren when we start having Grandma Camps! When are you coming to Oregon to visit? Would love to meet your girls. We have empty rooms, you know....