Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Chicken Noodle Soup for the Afflicted Soul


So I'm finally over the really long week of my stomach flu. My friend, Christine, saved the mealtime insanity at our house one night by bringing us her chicken noodle soup; probably the best I've ever had.

She's promised to share the recipe only if I promise to keep my family's germs to ourselves.


Christine's "Everything from Scratch" Chicken Noodle Soup


Serves 8-10

6 Chicken Breasts
1 lb of carrots
8 small read potatoes
4-6 cloves of garlic
1/2 a yellow onion
1 stalk of celery
parsley
oregano
salt
garlic salt
pepper
6-8 chicken boullion cubes


I start the long and the yummiest process by using a crock pot, if you don't have one, just cook your chicken on a frying pan, or boil it first for the short process in a big pot.

Put 6 chicken breasts (add first so that they are on the bottom of your crock pot), a whole bag of carrots-1 lb (shread and cut), 4/5 (as many as you like) cloves of garlic minced, half a yellow onion (cut small), 8 small red potatoes cut into quarters (a potato a person), parsley (shake until you think you have enough- I think I had more parsley than oregano), oregano (shake until you think you have enough), and a pinch of rosemary, salt, pepper, garlic salt ( I like to use Lawry's Garlic Salt, but any garlic salt is fine, I did add about 6 cubes of chicken boullion cubes in the crock pot. Cover the chicken, potatoes, and carrots with water.
You can put this in the crock pot as early in the day as you want, the earlier the more tender your chicken, potatoes, and carrots will be. I would give it at least 2 1/2 to 3 hours in the crock pot.

When you are ready to eat dinner pour everything from the crockpot into a big pot on the stove. Tear up the chicken, add more salt, garlic salt, parsley, and oregano until you think you have enough, and put an entire stalk of celery (dice as thick or as thin as you like) into the pot. I like my celery al dente as it adds variety and texture in your soup. If you like everything to be soft put the celery in the crockpot when you add the carrots and potatoes.

You might have to add a cup or 2 more of water so that when you add your noodles there will be enough water for the noodles to absorb. When your water reaches a rolling boil add your noodles, and let cook for 10 minutes, and the soup will be ready to eat after the noodles are done.

Homemade egg Noodles:

2 c. flour
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp. salt
4 T. milk

Mix with a fork to a ball. Roll out. Cut. Drop into boiling soup. Cook 10 min.

2 comments:

kenders said...

Oh sorry that you've had flu! You don't teach 2nd grade...you're not supposed to get the flu this early?! :) I hate the flu, but it seems to always come.

I LOVE this recipe though. I'm actually kind of excited to try it this winter. As I read it, I thought to myself...hey I could make this! I LOVE the crockpot, so easy. This weekend Joseph made Chicken Japanese Curry in the crockpot. It is always soooo tasty!

Ann said...

can't wait to try it! yum! :)