Monday, September 29, 2008

This One's for You, Matt!

So my good friend, Ann, is struggling with what in the world to feed her husband who is struggling with a health condition. All meat and many other forms of protein are out of the picture. But beans are in!

So Matt, this one's for you--one of my favorite vegetarian dinners. The combination of flavors, especially the pepper jack cheese that acts as the binder to the mixture, is incredible.

And it comes from Gourmet Magazine, so whatever credentials that entices you with, try it.




Black Bean, Spinach, and Mushroom Burritos

Ingredients

  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 pound mushrooms, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 bunch spinach (about 1 pound), coarse stems discarded, washed well and spun dry
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed well and drained
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 2 scallions, finely chopped
  • 3/4 cup coarsely grated pepper Jack cheese (about 5 ounces)
  • Salt
  • 1/2 cup canned mild enchilada sauce
  • 2 (10-inch) or 4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
  • Accompaniment: Sour cream


Cook Time:

30 Minutes

Yields:

2 (So I always double it)


Directions

In a heavy skillet cook onion and mushrooms in oil over moderate heat, stirring, until golden. Add spinach and garlic and cook, stirring, until spinach is wilted, about 30 seconds. Stir in water, beans, lemon juice, scallions, pepper Jack, salt, to taste, and cook stirring, until cheese is melted.

In a small saucepan, heat enchilada sauce.

Heat a dry skillet (large enough to hold 1 tortilla) over moderately high heat until hot. In skillet heat tortillas, 1 at a time, turning frequently, 30 seconds, or until softened, and transfer to a work surface. Divide filling between tortillas and roll up burritos.

Spoon sauce over burritos and serve with sour cream.


3 comments:

Ann said...

Nicole,

THANK YOU!! It sounds amazing!! I can't wait to try it! How kind of you to find a recipe he can have! Thank you!!

Love you!
Ann :)

Christine Mains said...

I know I will love it, to bad Brian won't touch it. Last night I made black beans and tomatoes, with rice for dinner. I even soaked, rinced, and heated on low all day the beans, because they were dried to begin with. Brian can't stand beans unless they are in a chili that he has to okay the number of bean count first. In fact he grilled hot dogs for himself and of course our children chose his dinner over mine. Knowing that my husband won't touch beans, I immediately to invite another lovely family over to eat dinner with us. Ellie and her kids came over for a yummy quick dinner. I will have to make these borritos some night, and invite you, and Ellie over to enjoy them. They sound YUMMY!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi! My name is Libby, and I found your blog through Ann Richmond. I hope you don't mind that I added you to my blog. I am marrying Ann's little brother in 2 weeks, and think your blog will be soooo helpful in creating dinners for us!