Thursday, November 6, 2008

Traditions


I remember as a child when my mother would make homemade biscuits for dunking in hot chocolate. It was always a preemptive breakfast celebration for a coming holiday or such. Through years of experience, I came to learn how to hold the buttered biscuit just so in order to keep the biscuit intact. Sometimes it would break and I'd scoop out the soggy chocolate soaked biscuit with my spoon and eat it. Either way, it was heaven.

Recently, I made my favorite biscuits and hot chocolate one early morning. We sat as a family, dunking together, talking, and making memories on my husband's birthday.

Traditions.

Food is one of the greatest memory makers. It lightens the eyes of a child and draws on a flood of memories for an adult. What is it you will pass on to your family? Choose something today that reminds you of your childhood. Pass it on and share your memories with your children.




My Favorite Dunking Biscuits
(Baking Powder Biscuits)

Makes 1 Dozen

4 c. all purpose flour
2 TBSP baking powder
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
2 c. heavy cream, plus more for brushing


Preheat the oven 400F. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender (I use my hands or food processor), cut in the butter until the mixture resembles course crumbs with a few larger clumps remaining.

Pour in the heavy cream; using a rubber spatula, fold cream into the dough, working in all directions and incorporating crumbs at the bottom of the bowl, until the dough just comes together. The dough will be slightly sticky.

Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. With floured fingers, gently pat the dough into a round about 1 inch thick, pressing in any loose bits. Do not overwork the dough. Use a floured round biscuit cutter to cut out the biscuits as close together as possible. (Use one cut edge as the edge for the next biscuit.)

Place the biscuits on an unlined baking sheet about 1.5 inches apart. Generously brush the tops of the biscuits with cream. Bake, rotating the sheet halfway through, until the biscuits are golden and flecked with brown spots, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the biscuits to a wire to cool.

Courtesy: Martha Stewart Baking Handbook

3 comments:

Joe said...

My family had a favorite called hot chocolate and toast. We would dunk the toast in the hot chocolate. I t was awesome, but I like the biscuit idea a lot. It sounds great.

Ann said...

Those sound heavenly!

The Homely Animal said...

Scott will love this post. We actually have this debate every Christmas. I think hot choc/biscuits aren't a real breakfast...Scott thinks I'm a fool. Now I see that he has another person on his team! I will note this recipe for his b-day breakfast and for every other Christmas since that is what a good wife should do :o)